Thursday 14 November 2013

our sixth dance .....

Once again Fiona and I have begun a collaborative book.  Life has often intervened this year and we have been less diligent than we were last year.  However, we have already laid our plans for 2014 and set working days aside for our joint projects.

This collaboration is different once again.  It is born out of the prints we each made and swapped for the Maleny Printmakers exhibition last weekend.  We each used nine of our own prints and nine from the other ..... these then form the materials from which we will work to make our books.

Here in the trays at the exhibition you can see our rows of little prints waiting for sale...




When making the prints, neither of us had in mind any commonality or sense of bringing them together cohesively so our beginnings here are really quite a challenge.  I have decided to work in the sphere of dreams and so will cut and combine parts of our work, using some solid images and then having bits of images floating, dreamlike around the page.  The struggle will be to maker this all hold together with out looking too piecemeal.  Fun but imbued with a sense of difficulty.



We spent yesterday together in Fiona's studio (after having delicious coffee and chocolate cake to celebrate my birthday), and made some headway into our planning.  These few photographs show the way  my thoughts are heading.











Not quite sure how I will pull it all together but I think this is a good start.

14 comments:

  1. Hello to you.
    I did post a comment about your work but it never showed.
    I again love the prints you've just exhibited and wonder if there are still any left for sale.
    I'm home from hospital now and getting back to creative work.
    Happy Birthday - even though its a bit late. Diane. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello Diane. Was late in publishing and commenting on the last post but caught up a couple of days ago. Will email you in next day or so .... x

      Delete
  2. These are beautiful. I love the unexpected juxtaposition of the colour and design quality of the prints. They each have lots to hold the eye and delight in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlton - they are only the first sense of what I am planning with the 'bits' - still a long way to go before I can make something interesting and bookworthy with them .... certainly will be fun though.

      Delete
  3. As ever, I am amazed at where the work takes you - our approaches are so different, yet harmonious. A lovely day to begin the exploring...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona - I always love seeing where we head after a common starting point. Look forward to the bookmeet in January!

      Delete
  4. I love the last photo! What fun you both have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too Olga :-) I always seem to be drawn into the dark imagery but I am going to work on getting away from that in this book .... not sure how yet. May think along the lines of daydreams rather than deep dark night dreams .....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! Oh! Oh! Love the direction you're taking with this. Ethereal and mysterious. Full of life and texture. More please!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Jennifer ...... the leaves must be losing their leaves! This collaboration will be fun to watch - taking completely disparate images and making them into a story ..... will be fun. I hope it remains ethereal and mysterious ... am thinking more along the idea of day dreams than night time. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry it took me almost a week to read your entry, Susan. The superposition of bits and pieces is guided by a knowing hand and the results are surprising and inspiring. 1 + 1 equals quality here. Looking forward to the process.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very exciting! I really love the way you have combined fragments of Fiona's work with your own.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your collaborations are always so inspiring. Each so different and yet when done each is so harmonious. Thanks so much for sharing the journey - I love seeing each step!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments - thank you!