Friday 20 November 2015

'pas de deux' at the noosa regional gallery .....



Having dropped our work off at the Noosa Regional Gallery Fiona and I headed off for coffee in an absolute daze.  Three years of our artists'  book collection and all the work we had been making individually just left there on tables.  A very scary moment indeed.  Until I arrived first thing on Friday morning before the Opening with a friend of mine (who is such a supporter of me and my work) and saw how Nina and Nicole and their NRG team had curated this exhibition.  Fiona and I could never have imagined it looking so wonderful!


I was really delighted to see my larger works up with plenty of breathing space around them.  There is just no room in my studio for this kind of work to be seen.


There were nooks and plinths where work was beautifully displayed - a lovely mix of Fiona's and my work.  By and large I am photographing my work here (Fiona has already posted on the Exhibition) - with difficulty as the lighting is geared to showing the work and not really for photography!  On the  wall are four of my 'Australian Textures' pieces and opposite them, which you can't see in this photograph, is the 16 piece work 'Textures of Australia'.




Our collaborative works were beautifully showcased in the vitrines or on the wall.  This body of work has been sold to a private collector in Melbourne and Fiona and I are so pleased that the collection will stay together.






The ceilings in this main gallery were really high, with huge wall spaces which really suited the spread of my work.  Because of the nature of the work it is difficult to show the work well but the details below will give you a feel for the largest of my works which was called 'Meandering'.  These twenty one pieces were framed outside the perspex boxes I made, seven in all, and what you don't see here with the work on a white wall but would see more clearly on a darker one, I have sanded the front surface of all the boxes save for a 'river' which meanders behind all the images, linking them together.






Again my 'Australian Textures' and below it my book 'Hunting and Gathering'.  Below a clearer picture of 'Textures of Australia'.



 I haven't included any photos of my two completed books 'Standing on Fishes' and 'Branching Out' which I will do in the next couple of days.  The books and the 3D drawings which make up 'Wandering' seem to have been everyone's favourites.  

It has been an overwhelming few weeks with so much wonderful feedback from friends and strangers alike.  I am having a bit of a break from the studio but that may mean I get back to posting on this blog a little more regularly.

17 comments:

  1. Beautiful work and a wonderfully curated exhibition and how lovely to have sold it all to one person, amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Debbie - just to clarify, the collection of our collaborative work (Fiona's and mine) sold, not our personal work on the walls. Not much of the other work has yet sold though the feedback has been very encouraging.

      Delete
  2. I would so love to see these in person ... and be able to convey my appreciation for your creations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. I know exactly what you mean- this kind of work looks so much better when you have little distance between it and your face! Those that have been to see it spend time and really stick their noses up close ..... lovely.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing this. It looks like a beautiful exhibition. Lovely space that nicely displays your work! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sally. Certainly is a lovely space to be able to show the work :-)

      Delete
  4. so tempted to throw caution to the winds and buy a plane ticket to come and see this exhibition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS unfortunately the show closes before I can get to an airport. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and the reality. We can't all get to see the work we would like to. But the though was there and that is MUCH appreciated India. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. Breathtaking....what an amazing show! The work you and Fiona have done together is just stunning and the curation of the exhibition shows it off so well. Wow!! -- Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks again Patti. So glad you came over to tracemarks and had a look around :-)

      Delete
  7. I've been mostly following the process of this body of work via fiona -- lovely to see it through other eyes too --- fabulhoot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a gorgeous new word Ronnie ..... fabulhoot. Fiona is so diligent about her regular blog posts and I am so lax ..... very glad you follow our work through her!

      Delete
  8. Followed some internet trail [regarding handmade books] that led me to here and my goodness,
    am astounded. BEAUTY, all of this ! So happy to have made my way via internet, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i would indeed have loved to see this exhibit.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments - thank you!